In the 2009 GFC era where external training & conferences are just off the agenda, many of us have to find other ways to learn.
Blogs and their self promoting headline act, Twitter, provide an alternative approach to staying up to date. Even YouTube is getting quite a mention with its burgeoning E-Learning video's - although the quality is not always Oscar level!
Good Project Management related powerpoints can be found on Slideshare : I really like Craig W Brown's 11 Week Program - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6,7, 8, 9, 10, 11. Also see KerrieAnne's UOW KM & KS in PM lecture slides .
There are a number of PM blogs out there eg PMThink! (this blog also lists heaps of others), Herding Cats, Leading Virtually, Effective Software Development, Journyx Project Management, Fear No Project & Project Management Tips. You can subscribe to blogs via RSS feeds and then read in a news reader in Outlook or also applications like GoogleReader.
Project Management Tips is a really good PM related blog. It has a huge number of tips that are actually quite on the mark so far as project management goes. I find entering the PM Tips blog site, a little like the kid in the Chocolate Shop to be honest. So many good things - which to choose ?
One approach is to follow Project Management Tips on Twitter - where the blog's headlines are "tweeted" by @PMTips, with links back to its PM related blog posts. Other PM Tweeters include @gsanchezs, @pmskills, @thepmtweet, @GanttGuru, @ProjectSmart & @meolesen. You can follow Tweeters with good content via RSS feeds and then read in a news reader in Outlook, or also applications like GoogleReader. Makes it a lot easier to get through them quicker.
Project Management Tips also focus on Communication & Learning in Projects and so there is a big focus on Knowledge Management tools.
Some of my favourite posts (admittedly a long list) from this blog include ..
- PM Fundamentals & Basics
- What if there was no Project Management -revisited -Do We Need a Structure
- Is Good Project Management Really Just Common Sense - Books on PM for Beginners
- Prep for Interviewing Project Managers
- Characteristics of a Project Manager - Pts 1,2, 3, 4 - Honesty - Reputation is a Fragile Thing
- The Difference between Projects and Programmes - Value of Project Management Office - Best Practices and Project Teams
- Kickoff & Exploration : VIP Admission Only
- Effective Communication - Managing the Delivery Team - X-Teams - externally focused
- Project Induction Plan- Brown Bag Sessions at the Start of the Project
- Keeping Team Focused on End Goal
- How Competent Are You - Five Signs You Aren't Cut Out to be A Project Manager
- Maintaining a Skills Database
- Statement of Work & The Defining of Requirements - Requirements Traceability Matrix - Agile Project Management
- The Project Customer & Other Negotiation Issues
- Getting the Customer Involved - Eight Things Your Business Analysts Need to Know
- When the Customer Doesn't Know What They Want - Dealing with Their Unreasonable Expectations - Keeping Track of Their Complaints -
- What the Customer is Trying to Tell You - Never Say No the Customer
- Is the Customer Your Friend - Project Sponsors What Do They Do ?
- Internal Projects : When the Scope Changes
- The Art of Negotiation - Pt 1, 2
- Common Project Issues: Keeping Bad News from the Customer
- When Client Can't Do UAT - User Acceptance Testing
- Common Project Issues : R&D - Too much "D" and not enough "R" - Pt1, 2
- PM Budgets & Challenges
- What is Risk
- Underestimating Complexity
- MOSS 2007 - ROI Calculation
- Project Management in these Economic Times
- Project Management on a Budget - Budget Overrun - Project Funding Hits the Wall
- Project Manager to the Rescue
- When Your Management Lets You Down - When it All lt Goes Wrong Again
- Learning & Managing Knowledge in Projects
- Process Innovation Challenge - Lessons Learned - Logging Your Team's Learnings - Mistakes Matter : Post Project Reviews
- Project Management Tools
- The Project Portal
- 5 Tips for Using Sharepoint as a PMIS - 5 More Tips
- Wikis in Organizations - Sharepoint Wikis - continued
- How Useful is a Wiki in a Project - Getting Your Project Team to Use the Wiki
- How does the MS Wiki Stack Up Against the Competition
- Articles from Here and There - on Wikis in Projects
- Knowledge in Projects - An Introduction to KM- 10 Highly Recommended Books on KM
- Communities of Practice & Knowledge Culture
- The Benefits of KM - basically from a business bottom line perspective
- KM at NASA
- Metrics and Knowledge Management
- Leadership Expectations - on Knowledge Management
- Knowledge Management Framework
- Justifying Your Content Management Investment - continued
- Is technology necessary for Knowledge Management
- Does KM work for you - theZen of Seeing - Knowledge Overload
- Is the Term Knowledge Management misleading
- A Knowledge Management Fable
- KM in the News - Effects of Layoffs
- What's Next After Knowledge Management
- Email to Manage Your Ideas
- Blogging within Your Organization - Blogging on Enterprise Portals
- YouTube and KM